Are you looking for a creative way to offer money as a gift for graduation? We’re here to help! Here’s an easy-to-make graduation money box idea! Decorate it with some of your kid’s school colors, write on the glass your personal message and drop in your money!
Supplies needed to make a Graduation Money Box:
(Supplies may vary by store, however, special store-to-store orders can be placed with a one-week turnaround. Substitutions will be suggested if a product is no longer available.)
• Unfinished Wood Graduation Money Box (with a slot on the top)
• Acrylic Paint and Small Brush (color of your choice)
• Scrapbook Paper in your school’s colors.
• Paper Cutter or Scissors
• Black Sharpie Pen
• Double-Sided Tape or Glue
• Printed Design (for the front of the glass)
1. Start by painting the unfinished wood box with the acrylic paint that you have chosen to match your kid’s school colors. Let it dry completely.
2. Open the back of the box (it opens like a picture frame). Use the back to trace the shape onto your scrapbook paper. Cut the paper which should fit the back of the frame. Use your favorite glue, or double-sided tape to adhere the paper to the back of the frame. Put that aside for now.
3. Cut out the extra paper around your printed design. This will help you insert it inside the box. Use tape to temporarily hold it in place inside of the glass. Use your black Sharpie Pen to trace the design from this template onto the front of the glass by simply following the lines of your printed design.
4. Remove the template from inside the box. Now you can use acrylic paint (or other colors of Sharpie pens) to color the inside of your design from the inside of the box. By tracing the outline of the design outside the glass, and painting the design inside the glass, it creates a slight 3D effect. It’s really cool!
5. Reattach the back of the box and secure in place with the little hooks. It’s now ready to fill with money!